VO2max Do's & Don'ts
Things to Do
- It’s important to have sufficient rest before your VO2max Exercise test. We advise that you don’t exercise within 24 hours of your test time. If you do exercise, then please restrict the maximum intensity to "moderate". If you're lifting weights the day before your test, make it an overall body conditioning workout.
- Continue to take any medication as normal and only delay the timing of your medication if it’s safe to do so. If you delay, remember to bring your medication with you so you can take it after the test. It is especially important to bring your inhaler if you suffer from exercise-induced asthma. If you have any concerns about doing the test, please seek advice from your GP.
- If you have any metabolic conditions e.g. thyroid issues or diabetes, please ensure you bring some rapidly absorbed carbohydrate to take immediately after your test. You will be fasted pre-test, so you need to avoid the risk of hypoglycaemia.
- There are always risks associated with exercise and it's essential you complete our health screen prior to your test day. It's extremely important that we have your information and failure to do so may cause your test date to be postponed or cancelled.
Book A Test
Things Definitely not to Do
- Do not eat or drink anything other than water, at least 4 hours before the test. This includes chewing gum. Unless you are fasted, the test results will be contaminated and it will have to be postponed to another date.
- If you smoke, do not smoke at least 4 hours before the test.
- Avoid any strenuous activity at least 24 hours before your test. We would not advise working out or going to the gym until after your assessment. If you do exercise the day before your test:
Do not train high intensity cardio
If lifting weights, do not train legs
- If you over-train the day before the test, your body will be tired and you will not perform to your maximum potential.